Friday, January 3, 2014

It's been three weeks. Three. Whole. Weeks.

It's official.  I've been in the almost constant presence of my three beautiful children for three full weeks, and they have to go back to school on Monday.  Yesterday, was the breaking point for me.  I looked and felt utterly defeated.  By the time Chuck got home I was ragged from having done nothing spectacular.  All I did was cook, clean a little, herd children, and run housewifely errands.  Unfortunately, I also choose that day to also curb my indulgent eating and drinking, so I was thoroughly beat down and hungry by the time we got home from George's basketball practice around 7 p.m.  I'm not sure how it happened, but it did.  And I looked awful.  Chuck kept asking me what was wrong, and all I could do was look over at him from my slumped position on the couch and say, "Meh..."  It was so bad, that the poor schlep even folded half of the humongous pile of laundry stacked up in our den.  (Now that I think about it, I may have to try this tactic again in the future.)

In the end, I decided the time wasn't right to give up on delicious food and drink...at least, not yet.  The time is coming, and it's coming fast because I've managed to put on five pounds in just the last three weeks.  Pretty pathetic, right?  And certainly not good for my marathon goals, ahem, which I also haven't started working on.  At least I can say I stuck to my blogging commitment!

Have I mentioned that I started a book club?  Probably not. Otherwise, all you millions of readers out there would be clamoring to join and read the little gems of literature we pick out every other month.  Too bad for all of you!  This month we read a book I picked out called Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella.  She's the same author that wrote all the Shopaholic books.  I have to admit that I didn't get totally into the Shopaholic books (although I think I might have to treat myself to a reading marathon sometime soon), but I absolutely adored this book.  It's no great literary piece that might compare with Hemingway, Twain, Homer, Grisham, King, or Morrison, but it made me laugh (out loud) all three times I read it.  Yep, I read it three times (twice before I suggested it for the book club).  You should definitely check it out for a beach read or even if you just want something light and funny to read.  It was a pure pleasure.  Loved it.

So, my friends, on this last and final day at home with my kids (when they would otherwise be in school), I see a few glasses of wine in my future, as well as an unhealthy dinner and dessert.  I hope your evening is as fulfilling as mine (and hopefully a little quieter, too)!

No comments: